GD&T is a system of symbols and notes used on engineering drawings to specify the amount of variation from the CAD model that a manufactured part is allowed to have. Also known as the tolerances, this allowable variation has a profound impact on the manufacturing and quality inspection plan for any part. GD&T is used to ensure that everyone is on the same page regarding how the features on parts are defined. When a design engineer releases a drawing to be produced, they need a common technical language for communicating exactly what must be produced. GD&T is the language used during that communication.
- The Basics of Manufacturing Prints
- Numeric Tolerances
- Geometric Tolerance Fundamentals
- The Datum Reference Frame Concept
- Interpretation of Geometric Controls
Students will be able to:
- Calculate minimum and maximum allowable values for dimensions considering numeric tolerances.
- Learn how geometric tolerances supplement conventional tolerances to specify limits on allowable variation.
- Recognize the symbols used with the geometric system of tolerances.
- Recognize basic dimensions on prints and understand their meaning.
- Identify and properly read feature control frames.
- Recognize when bonus tolerance is available and calculate geometric tolerance values when bonus tolerance applies.
- Recognize datum feature identifiers applied to features with size and surfaces.
- Analyze the datum reference frame including order of precedence.
- Identify and read geometric controls on location, orientation, form, profile & runout.
Who Should Attend:
- Engineering managers and supervisors
- Mechanical design engineers & engineering technicians
- Quality Control personnel
- Machine shop and tool room supervisors
- Supplier quality engineers
What former students have said
- "Instructor was extremely knowledgeable and presented concise answers through words and graphics. Very well done!" - Student, 3/24/2010
- "The instructor was incredibly knowledgeable about the subject matter (geometric dimensioning and tolerancing) and the interactive teaching methods employed really helped me understand the material." - Student, 6/24/2014
- "This course provided a lot of useful information that will be applicable to the work I do on a daily basis." - Student, 9/22/2016